Re: MAX nodes cluster software support RAC on SUN Solaris and Linux?

  • From: Scott <oraracdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracledba@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:36:08 -0700 (PDT)

mccdba,

There are 2 pieces to this question. There is what the
HW and Cluster manager software will support and then
there is what Oracle will support.

Oracle only supports up to a 32 node cluster in 920
and up to 64 nodes in 10g.

Oracle has tested up to 128 nodes in cluster with 10g
but only supports 64. This value could change with
with a patch release or major release but this
information is usually documented in the server
reference manual.

SUN cluster 3.x supports at least 8 nodes in cluster
the last time I checked.

Veritas DBE/AC 3.5 Supports up to 4 nodes with
Maintenance pack 1 or greater installed and will
support at least 8 nodes with DBE/AC 4.x

Linux is hardware vendor specific. Dell, HP and IBM
usually post this information on a website somewhere.
Each vendor usually indicates how many nodes it will
support with their clustered environment.

In the Linux area you could always go beyond the
suggested HW vendor's recommendations (or use a
generic white box environment) and go up to what
Oracle will support.

Hope this helps,

Scott