RE: Lunch: I'm a DBA - ask me anything

  • From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 12:24:58 -0700

Meetup.com makes it super easy to do something like this. I'll suggest that
NoCOUG do it too. Not everybody has the time or energy to go to conferences but
everybody has time for lunch.
Iggy
P.S. The NoCOUG meetup page is
http://www.meetup.com/Northern-California-Oracle-Users-Group/
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 13:56:17 -0500
Subject: Re: Lunch: I'm a DBA - ask me anything
From: alfredo.abate@xxxxxxxxx
To: backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx
CC: jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeff,
You can have one too  Start one up!
These are pretty great that and I know folks are thankful that Jeremy started
these in the Chicago Land area.

The only downside I saw was a lunch hour is not enough time once you start
talking shop!   :)
Alfredo

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Jeff C <backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What a great idea.  Wish we had something like this in Southern
California/Orange County area.

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 7:23 AM, Jeremy Schneider
<jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We've got these dba lunch meetups going in Chicago and we tried something new
last week. Started lunch by "introducing" one of the members. The interviewee
answers a few questions, and we keep the discussion around each question to a
few minutes. Fun way to start lunch and there was still plenty of time for the
usual techy chatter afterwards.

My question for this (oracle-l) list: if you could ask a DBA anything, what
would you ask?
Here are the four questions we've used so far:
1. how'd you get started with the oracle db?

2. what's the most interesting system or application you've worked on in your
career?  can you tell us a bit about the architecture?3. who's your #1
influencer, mentor, or author?

4. what's the #1 thing you need to learn so you'll still have a job in 5-10
years?
BTW - lunch is in deerfield today, schaumburg tomorrow and downtown next
wednesday.  Just in case anyone is interested in joining.  :)

-J--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider