Re: Looking for discussion on using large-ish PGA/SGA for PROD vs DEV/QA

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:58:01 -0300

If you are having problems with one report in particular, then it's a
good idea to get to understand the report and the SQL that is involved.

While SGA adjustments may help, in the case of a single report, I'd be
looking at execution paths and PGA first - if there is a lot of sorting
(in PGA) or joining (largely in PGA), remembering that PGA uses TEMP
tablespace effectively like a kind of swap space may help.  And
understanding the path should help decide whether indexes are used
[appropriately].   As long as you aren't forced into swapping or paging,
from a purely reporting stand point an oversized SGA should not hurt
much.  (It might hurt transactional operations - used to be a problem,
but not so much any more.)  SO I would put the SGA issue as a lower
priority for investigation.

On the other hand, if you experience performance issues across the board
or in a lot of different areas, then I'd be looking at 'common' things
such as SGA as a higher priority.

Either way, David pointed you to Tanel's excellent script.

/Hans