RE: Linux buffer cache monitoring

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Christo Kutrovsky" <kutrovsky.oracle@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:22:47 -0700

Hi Christo, thanks for the suggestion.  I did eventually end up doing a
full Oracle install and created a test database with
filesystemio_options=setall.  Too bad orion doesn't support directio -
hopefully they'll add it in a future release.  Another workaround I used
for testing with orion to prevent caching was to flush the linux cache
immediately before the test by either creating a file larger than my RAM
and then deleting it, or using this trick on OEL5:
http://linux-mm.org/Drop_Caches (just be careful not to use that on
OEL4, or it may freeze the box like it did for me and you'll have to
reboot).

Regards,
Brandon