Re: Lengthening backup

  • From: "Terry Sutton" <terrysutton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 14:14:31 -0700

Andy,

The archivelogs are not being backed up by RMAN.  And I'm seeing nothing in
v$session_longops:
    SQL> select * from v$session_longops where sid in (918,1185);

    no rows selected

One thing I did notice, FWIW, is at 10:22:35 yesterday, I looked in the
directory to which the backup pieces are written, and no files had been touched
since 10:19.  Later, at 10:32:22, the latest file timestamp was 10:28.  So it
seems like the backup is doing something between file writes.  Don't know if
that helps any.

--Terry
  Hi Terry, two things come to mind. How are the archivelog files being handled
(i.e. are they being bundled into the backup, perhaps without a delete?) and
does v$session_longops reveal any clues when the backup is running?

  Andy Rivenes
  arivenes@xxxxxxxx

  At 11:05 AM 7/7/2006, Terry Sutton wrote:

    I'm having some issues with a client's RMAN backup.  They're on Oracle
8.1.7.4, Solaris 8.  It's a weekly full backup, and they're backing up ~1.5TB
to disk, and the longer the instance is up, the longer the backup takes.  A
recent progression has been: