RE: Latest IOUG Security Report Raises Red Flags on Database Security

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dreveewee@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:42:49 -0500

Its worth noting that while vendors like Microsoft have attempted to make
patching less complicated, Oracle has only succeeded in making it more complex
over time.  PSUs are clearly designed to model the Microsoft "cumulative
update" strategy they have for SQL server and other products, but instead have
just created yet another patching approach, requiring a new version of OPatch,
and offering a whole slew of complexity.

We see that more and more organizations are being forced to apply CPUs by
auditors and security teams, and a couple that are making the CPU vs. PSU
decision.  Over time, Oracle is going to make it more and more encouraged to
apply CPUs or PSUs, until at some point I wouldn't be surprised if it's near
mandatory.  Oracle is also using this pressure to apply the patches to
encourage people to upgrade - we have a lot of customers that recently brought
everything up to 9.2.0.8 or 10.2.0.4 because Oracle stopped making CPUs
available for any earlier release.

It's a vicious cycle - Oracle makes patching really complicated, attempts to
simplify it, makes it worse, then forces people to upgrade in order to get the
patches they're being told they have to apply, and then Oracle tells people
they'll happily sell them a product that will help fix the thing Oracle made
complicated.

Thanks,
Matt

(Shameless plug and disclosure: My company, GridApp, of which I am one of the
founders, makes a database automation software package that, among other
things, supplants OEM provisioning pack for patching and provisioning, and does
so quite nicely.

http://www.gridapp.com/products/patching.php

Back to offering legit content.)