RE: Large ASM installation

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:51:55 -0400

Hi Dan,

We've been an ASM shop since we moved to 10.2 several years ago, and are quite
comfortable with it.

We started (relatively) small, with a few 100-200GB databases.  Recently, our
content store re-architecture means that we've got an 11.2 database that's
about 10TB (and growing) on ASM.  Overall, I'm pleased with the combination of
ASM, bigfile tablespaces, and OMF.  It means that tablespace level monitoring
is a thing of the past.  We have everything in ASM, OCR, data, redo, flashback
(which is where we write archivelogs).  I just monitor space usage in the disk
groups, and, when I start running low, the storage admin provides another chunk
of raw disk, which I add to the diskgroup, and I'm good to go.  Each tablespace
grows at its own rate, allocating space from the diskgroup.  Depending on the
tablespace, you may want to set limits on specific tablespaces, but, for our
big tablespace, it's just set to unlimited, and I add space to the diskgroup as
needed.

Overall, I think ASM is a good thing.

-Mark