Re: Laptop for Lots of VMs

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:02:33 +0000

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Martin Bach
<development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> If money didn't matter I would buy a ThinkPad x201s with 8gb of memory. I
> think it comes with an esata port as well.
>
> Didn't see any laptop with more memory anywhere.

The Dell M6500 series can take up to 16gb. Of course the example I
configured would cost you 46 months worth of your hosted server, up front.

> I am using an alternative: a hosted server with a core i7 920, 1.5tb raid 1
> and 24g of memory. Accessible via ssh from pretty much everywhere and
> running opensuse 11.2 and a xen hypervisor. All for 89 euro per month :)
>
> If I didn't already have an S3 account the free Amazon mini instance offer
would be pretty hard to beat for the sort of things I use vms for, though
more memory would be nice.. http://aws.amazon.com/free/

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA