RE: KIll Session in - RAC DB

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:50:32 -0400

Actually, it's not very fun or exciting.

On my 9.2.0.8 on Solaris:
SQL> select sid,serial# from v$session where paddr in(select paddr from
v$bgprocess where name = 'PMON');

  SID SERIAL#
----- -------
    1       1

1 row selected.

SQL> alter system kill session '1,1';
alter system kill session '1,1'
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00029: session is not a user session

You also can't kill your own current session:
SQL> select sid,serial# from v$session where sid in(select sid from
v$mystat where rownum=1);

  SID SERIAL#
----- -------
  150    3820

1 row selected.

SQL> alter system kill session '150,3820';
alter system kill session '150,3820'
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00027: cannot kill current session

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"There are 10 types of people in the world:  Those who understand
binary, and those who don't."