JDBC connection pool and logon triggers

  • From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:49:11 -0600

We have a system that uses persistent jdbc (2.0 thin) connections into a
9204 (32) db. There are logon triggers to set some session variables.
Sounds pretty mild. The problem is that each time a process connects
using one of the already connected sessions, the logon trigger is fired,
which introduces a tremendous burden on the system (many short/quick
connections). At this point, the dbas are seeing that the sid for the
sessions remains static, but the serial# changes on each 'connection'
via a persistent connection.
Has anyone seen this behaviour? If so, what is the process for
preventing trigger calls on a reconnection?
Being the non-java person I am, is this normal? Is this something that
can be controlled by jdbc client settings?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel Fink