RE: Is is safe to drop an empty tablespace?

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "piontekdd@xxxxxxxxx" <piontekdd@xxxxxxxxx>, "genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:08:56 -0400

Having quotas on a tablespace won't prevent him from dropping it.  Those quotas
will just go away.

If you do:
Select segment_type,segment_name from dba_segments where tablespace_name =
'TS_YOU_WANT_TO_DROP' and segment_type !='TEMPORARY';
And you get zero rows, it should be safe to drop.

To be certain,do:
Drop tablespace tablespace_you_want_to_drop;
Without the 'including contents' clause, and if there's anything left in it,
Oracle won't drop it.

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies

ProQuest...Start here.