Is explain plan lying to me?

  • From: "Aragon, Gabriel (GE Commercial Finance)" <gabriel.aragon@xxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:35:03 -0500

Hi guys,

Oracle 9.2.0.5 win2k

I have one view that makes a join between another view and a table
through a dblink, when I generate the explain plan I see the following:

Operation       Object Name     Rows    Bytes   Cost=09

SELECT STATEMENT Hint=3DCHOOSE          3 G             6 G

  HASH JOIN             3 G     7916G   6 G

    VIEW        VIW_BBC_USER_LEVEL      80      960     33

      SORT UNIQUE               80      8 K     33

        UNION-ALL

          TABLE ACCESS FULL     TBL_BBCX_RM_INFO        78      8 K
7                                       =20
          FILTER

            TABLE ACCESS FULL   TBL_BBCX_PA_INFO        2       106
7                                       =20
            TABLE ACCESS FULL   TBL_BBCX_RM_INFO        4       76
7                                       =20
    VIEW        VIW_HFS_ALL_USER_INFO   4 G     9847G   6 G

      SORT UNIQUE               4 G     11851G  6 G

        REMOTE          4 G     11851G  52      DBL_SQLSERVER   SERIAL

AFAIU I can notice the query is accesing a lot of info (several gig's)
on the remote dblink, but the query only takes 1 second to return the
data! So, what is the explanation? am I misunderstanding the plan? Is
this explain plan for real?=20

SELECT
    xxx.USER_SSO_ID,
    xxx.USER_FIRST_NAME,
    xxx.USER_LAST_NAME,
    xxx.USER_MIDDLE_NAME,
    xxx.USER_SUFFIX,
    xxx.USER_TITLE,
    xxx.USER_ADDRESS,
    xxx.USER_CITY,
    xxx.USER_STATE,
    xxx.USER_COUNTRY,
    xxx.USER_ZIP,
    xxx.USER_DESIGNATION,
    xxx.USER_WORK_PHONE,
    xxx.USER_DIAL_COM,
    xxx.USER_MOBILE,
    xxx.USER_HOME_PHONE,
    xxx.USER_EMAIL,
    xxx.IS_ACTIVE,
    xxx.LAST_UPDATED_DATE
FROM VIW_HFS_ALL_USER_INFO xxx, VIW_BBC_USER_LEVEL yyy
WHERE xxx.USER_SSO_ID =3D yyy.USER_SSO_ID;=09

DBlink is inside VIW_BBC_USER_LEVEL pointing to a SQL server db, using
transparent gateway.

TIA
Gabriel