Re: Installation of Oracle client for end users

  • From: Amar Kumar Padhi <amar.padhi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:40:42 +0400

I have been experimenting with easy connect naming option for some time and this looks good. I believe most application calls should be able to support this, but I haven't tested it yet.

http://www.amar-padhi.com/oradb_easy_connect_naming.html

Thanks!
amar

Jared Still wrote:

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I generally prefer a compromise myself.  Install the client
    software locally, but put the tnsnames on the network (read
    only).  Only give dba's a local tnsnames.

Got rid of tnsnames.ora for (most) clients long ago.

We converted to Oracle Names.

After doing so I found that any app with high connection rates
will frequently fail to resolve names with Oracle Names in 9.2.x
due to a bug, so some clients get tnsnames.ora, and servers
get tnsnames.ora with Oracle Names being used to resolve names
not found in the local tnsnames.ora.

Now it's time to move to OID (possibly with names proxy) as 10g
doesn't work with names for database name resolution.

--
Jared Still