Insert into remote table from Read only database

  • From: "Debaditya Chatterjee" <debaditya.chatterjee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:08:35 -0400

Hi,

We have a situation where we would need to insert into a remote table from a
read only database via a database link.

My initial testing suggests that this is not possible as any distributed
transaction is marked as read-write and even a select using the db link from
the read only database fails with ORA-16000. The workaround is to explicitly
set the transaction as read only. With the transaction set to read-only the
select works but we cannot run the insert as it fails with ORA-01456: may
not perform insert/delete/update operation inside a READ ONLY transaction.

I was wondering if there is a particular way or known workaround to insert
into a remote table from a read-only database using a db link.

Thanks
Deba.