Index Maintenance Vs Insert Response Time

  • From: Antony Raj <ca_raj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 07:23:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

Our application have a staging table which has 3 indexes on it.There are two
INSERTs running everyday by selecting different sets of data from other
application tables.Both inserts were inserting
~ 45,000 rows everyday.The current row count of this table is 32 million(Not
partitioned).

Both INSERTs took ~ 1-2 minutes until the table's row count has reached 10
million and then the elapsed time has been increased to 6-7 minutes
Since we insert the same amount of rows into this table,the expectation from
the developers is that the inserts should run within 2 minutes all days.
Any explanations?

Thanks