Re: Incremental backups

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michael.Kline@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:00:57 -0600

Michael,

Here is another perspective: You'll know you need incremental backups when
your backup administrator tells you. :-)
Everything here depends on your specific situation:
  - How large is your database?
  - What is the update cycle? - i.e. is every day the same, or is it a
weekly cycle, etc.
  - How many archive logs are produced?
  - What are the recovery requirements? What is an acceptable downtime?
  - What is the speed and capacity of your backup hardware?
My feeling is that you need to get the answer to these questions (i.e. the
requirements) before you can begin crafting a solution. I don't think you
can just pick a database size and say past that point you need to switch to
incremental backups.

Dennis Williams