Incremental backups

  • From: "Kline.Michael" <Michael.Kline@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 09:13:56 -0500

Anyone have a sort of "working policy" at which point incremental
backups are worth considering?

Our system is still quite fast, and for the most part taking full is not
that long and means we only need one copy or one set of files to
restore.

I would think, and yes I know it varies, that there is probably a size
where it's really worth considering, like perhaps 1TB or so, maybe as
low as 500Gb.

I do have a couple of warehouses that I need to check what gets touched
each day and they sound like very good candidates for this. We'd most
likely do a full around the weekend, and do incremental cumulatives
between that and the next. That way we only would need the base and the
latest cumulative.

Michael Kline
Database Administration
SunTrust Banks, Inc.
Mail Code TOC-7505

1030 Wilmer Avenue
Richmond, Va.  23227
Tel: 804.261.9446  Net: 643.9446

Cell: 804.744.1545
michael.kline@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:michael.kline@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Seeing beyond Money(sm)

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please

SunTrust and Seeing beyond money are federally registered service marks of
SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]