How to find prior versions of rdbms that were installed on a box

  • From: Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle Freelists <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 20:11:36 -0700

Hi
If you are at a new client site and let us say they are on 11.1.0.7 but they
got there via upgrade paths and not a fresh install of 11g code tree.
How do you find out what were the prior versions of Oracle that were used.
I could have started with 8.1.7.4 and then upgraded to 9.2.0.6 and then
upgraded to 10.2.0.4 and then to 11gR1.
But is there any way to find out that my original code tree base started
with 8.1.7.4

The reason I ask this is, I am migrating a 11.1.0.7 database from Solaris to
Linux and there are objects in SYS and MDSYS schema that dont exist on my
Linux platform but do exist on Solaris. One of the reasons that this could
be possible is , because Solaris had an  history of base installs and
upgrades but Linux box had a fresh install of 11.1.0.6 and patchsets on top
of it.  There could be some objects that were created in prior installs and
upgrades that are obsolete in later versions but hang around in the schemas
(SYS or MDSYS or any other base schemeas).  I dont think it matters but I am
using datapump to export and import data between platforms.

Thank you
Kumar