Re: How I save Cingular Wireless USD 30M

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle.list@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 21:45:06 +0100

I must say I find this a somewhat bizarre contribution to the list. Normally
in a technical posting to this list it would be prudent to mention what the
problem was, how you diagnosed it, and how you fixed it. In the case of a
deadlock which can be traced, it would be normal to illustrate this process
- or why it failed you. Dreams are well and good, the benzene ring structure
springs to mind, but normally there's a follow up and a methodology to
investigate the hypothesis. The details of this seem to be missing here -
you say that you found a script on metalink for example, but don't mention
the note number. It found some orphaned indexes (The word segment is
redundant here) - I'm not sure what one of those would be - an intact index
left when a table was dropped? I've never seen one of those. It would be a
curious thing indeed, certainly worthy of describing in more detail.  You
also describe being able to give a database a life expectancy - I'd love
more or indeed any detail on that. In short from a technical point of view
you don't actually tell us anything.

The alternative I suppose is that this is a disguised job search. The
trouble with those of course is they tend not to work that well. I did take
a look at your resume though. Stuff that I would look for would be a concise
summary of your skills and abilities,  your job history shows a number of
diverse and in demand skills - but it doesn't really tell me what I'm
getting. With the exception of the 30m saving - and believe me as a hiring
manager I'd want more confirmation of that than a post to this list merits -
your resume doesn't tell me how you will contribute to the business except
as a techie. Incidentally since both the resume and this conversation will
be indexed by google It would definitely be good to have the Oracle skill
sets listed out in an easy to read format on the resume - my gut reaction is
that the version 2 reference below is hyperbole given that that version was
12 years old when you started your career (and almost no-one bought it) but
if your experience really does cover all of Oracle's history selling that in
the resume would be helpful.

So in summary - if this was intended as a technical post then perhaps a
rethink about what you can and cannot say might produce a more helpful
contribution, that is one production dbas can use. if intended as an advert
- try not to make a habit of it and perhaps a resume rethink might help.

best regards

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA