RE: How I save Cingular Wireless USD 30M

  • From: Cosmin Ioan <cosmini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:04:51 -0700 (PDT)

Allen,
I agree with your post.  Whether it is Windows, other OS'es, any RDBMS,
corruption of internal dictionaries or registries, etc, must and should be
taken seriously.

If anybody could post some links to (detailed) papers written on how to detect
(preferably real time) corruption of blocks/ dictionary overall, etc, and
moreso, fix these in an 24/7 environment without much down time, it would be
quite beneficial to many, I dare say.

We all know data fragmentation, data selectivity, frequency distribution of
values, statistics (and many more things) can be a drag on databases, but
corruption, that's a different beast that must be dealt with seriously (and
have not seen many papers dealing with this ;-)

anyone  venturing to write about this?    there are many brilliant people on
this forum who can help, I'm sure many would be appreciative!

cheers,
Cosmin

"Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:     Tom, please don't be
defensive - you posted your resume  making an extraordinary claim to a list of
hundreds of Oracle professionals -  what did you expect?  You know this list's
primary purpose is  sharing the detailed solutions for Oracle problems, so
that's all  we're asking for.  Why the solution to an Oracle bug would be
confidential  doesn't really make sense to me.  There are thousands of sites on
the web  posting all kinds of details about Oracle internals, problems and
solutions  (e.g. Wolfgang's 10053 paper, Richard Foote's index internals,
numerous postings  by Jonathan Lewis, Tom Kyte, Steve Adams and countless
others).  All of  these people have made their careers on digging as deep as
they can into Oracle  internals and sharing their findings.  What is different
about your case  that it must be kept confidential?  Was there something
special about these  databases that made them susceptible to this
 problem, or is it something that  all of us could encounter (or even be
encountering already unbeknownst to  us)?  Obviously we'd all like very much to
know if that could be the case  so please share any details that you can, or at
least tell us why you can't do  so.

 Thanks,
 Brandon

 From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Tom  Pall

Let me state that this is the last challenge I will  answer.

The database was spending extra CPU time.

The particular  database which went belly up (but I had cloned and fixed and
fed the backlogged  data to) was unusable. It would not open up.  So no steps
could have been  taken.  I could quote iTARS from Oracle Support on this but
that is Oracle  and Cingular confidential.