Re: Histogram worthwhile?

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roberto_veiga@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:30:32 +0800

I have two Blog Posts on Bind Variable Peeking and Histograms :

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com/2008/07/bind-variable-peeking.html

and

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com/2007/09/more-on-bind-variable-peeking-and.html (pointing to Tom Kyte's articles)

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

At 10:01 PM Tuesday, Roberto Veiga wrote:
We have another performance problem to solve. The performance that was good, now is bad. Very bad with an unacceptable performance and nobody makes any changes to the system. Nor the analyst neither the dba. Why the performance is not ok anymore?

<deleted>
I dont know if this is a problem or if it is just a optimizer's behavior, but I am doing a research to find some alternatives to this problem. And I find some (thanks Tom Kyte):

.use bind variables but dont use histograms. so the plan is going to be the same for every single execution. one size fits all approach .dont use bind variables but use histograms. so the optimizer will evaluate the plan every execution and discover the best plan .use bind variables, use histogram but change the code. if the value is in this range, execute this query. if not, execute another query. i need to know distribution data. using the width_bucket function could be a good way to discover how is the distribution

Anyone have another idea?

Thanks

Veiga