RE: High disk capacity dangers

  • To: <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <fred_fred_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 07:39:03 -0500

Sometimes, ideas that sound funny come from what I call "the lost
parameter." It's like the story at http://www.wowzone.com/5monkeys.htm.

One really good reason not to keep a disk full is that if a disk
receives so many I/O requests per second that performance suffers, then
one way to fix it is to move bytes off that disk to make it "less
interesting" to so many users.

But if someone forgets why they moved bytes off a disk once upon a time,
then it begins to look like a rule saying you should never keep a disk
more than x% full.

Another reason to keep a disk partly empty is to ensure that the OS file
extent manager has some space to work in. But if you're using a disk
solely for Oracle data files that don't often grow or shrink, then you
don't need to leave the elbow room.

Of course, the SA could have some perfectly legitimate reason that I've
never heard of. To quote Deborah Holland, "Talking is good."

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
Nullius in verba

Hotsos Symposium 2007 / March 4-8 / Dallas
Visit www.hotsos.com for curriculum and schedule details...