Re: High Availability Options

  • From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 23:43:12 +0200

I agree with your view on the asmlib/udev matter. I like udev over asmlib, but
if you are not able to manage udev, asmlib will probably do without much heavy
linux lifting.

From what I've seen Oracle did not  fork a kernel of their own. They just
rolled a kernel of their own, just like every distro does. I don't understand
the hassle around it. Anyone can download the kernel source and roll a kernel
of their own. Probably the reason lies in in some stuff needed by the database
machine (OFED/infiniband, the # processors/cpu threads, NUMA), so some tweaked
stuff. But really, what is the deal?

Frits Hoogland

http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com
mailto: frits.hoogland@xxxxxxxxx