Re: Have you considered PostgreSQL? (This is not a troll)

  • From: "Stefano" <s.cislaghi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 21:41:51 +0000

Hi Joshua,

1. Yes we have considered PostgreSQL and abandoned it
2. No
3. Many things: oracle is usually more expensive but you can obtain many
discounts and its own cost many times can be really low. Also you jave always
to have one oracle platform because you're sure at least one mission critical
and enterprise application requires oracle, so why have two different platform
that in fact are two different products need different knowledge?
As supposed most of software vendors does not give support for postgresql and
even if these software use standard sql and no advanced functions from oracle
they're in fact not supported on postgresql.

IMHO I think that oracle is quite advanced compared to postgresql but I agree
that if you use oracle without taking advantage of its own features you may use
a cheaper database.

This discussion can be really long and boring. Feel free to contact me directly
if you want to explore my past experiences.

Stefano

--
http://www.stefanocislaghi.eu

Sent by BlackBerry® Bold 9700