Re: Function-based index on DML-active tables

  • From: "Connor McDonald" <mcdonald.connor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:18:05 +0800

On 4/6/06, Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Folks,
> I am trying to understand the impact of creating a function-based index
> on an order entry table which is heavily used by DML statements. Can
> anyone tell me the downside of creating such an index?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Amir
>
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

Why not conduct two simple benchmarks

a) create index IX on MY_TABLE ( col)
b) create index IX on MY_TABLE ( to_char(col))

and in each case, whack millions of updates, inserts, deletes at it.  I'm
contending (without having done the benchmark myself) that the difference
between (a) and (b) will be negliigble, which would thus give you confidence
that IF the overhead of an extra index is OK, then you've got a green light
for the FBI.

--
Connor McDonald

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat"