Flippin Consultants!

  • From: Howard Latham <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 13:46:54 +0100

Just sent this to a consultant working here - Am I right to be cross?

Exporting 25 gig of data and copying it and importing has many risks.
The amount of archivelogs produced will slow you down hugely as will index
creation.
You will probably have to have several goes. And disk space is getting tight
on box2
I would suggest you use transportable table spaces. I don’t think they are
currently transportable currently otherwise you could have used the backup I
am doing now.

I have freed some space on  box2 but please don’t start copying until my
test is done. Its pretty hard to get a test slot and copying large files
would slow things down.

You could also use the rman backups.

Also please do me the courtesy of letting me know when you are embarking on
exercises that will have a major impact on our servers. I am after all
supposed to be looking after all the Linux Boxes and all the databases.

--
Howard A. Latham