Re: Flippin Consultants!

Probably, but be sure who you are cross with.

If someone has just kicked off a 25gb export *and* a 25gb network file
transfer into the bargain without the courtesy to let anyone know what he
was doing, or to ask if it was an appropriate time, then I'd say yes, and be
cross with them.

If on the other hand they've been brought into do a task, have defined that
task in their engagement letter/statement of works or whatever describes
their deliverable work and it's your organisation that hasn't bothered to
tell you or ask you what was going on, well I'm not sure the consultant
deserves to get it in the neck. Remember they likely won't know who does
what job, the history of the servers involved and so on.

by the way, I'd also probably react badly to an unexpected email that
proclaimed that "what you are doing is wrong, you should do it like this and
anyway I didn't have any right to go tramping on someone else's territory".
One that said, "I see you are doing x, I wonder if we could work together on
it, and perhaps use method-r instead of method-g, because of reason y" would
probably get me to stop and think, certainly make me think 'here is someone
I should work with', and avoid mutterings in the corner.

but then I am a consultant now :)

cheers

Niall

--