Re: Flashback_on disabled automatically

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 00:06:56 +0800

I agree with you on both points.

1. If I enable a feature I expect it to remain enabled. Writing a message to the alert.log alone isn't sufficient when this feature is a critical requirement.
2.  Consequently, an option to provide a "level" of support would be good.
Something like the difference between MaximumAvailability and MaximumPerformance for Standby -- you get to choose what level of comfort you want.

At 10:06 PM Monday, John Hallas wrote:
I believe that there is a fundamental flaw in how flashback is managed in a database.

If I make the decision, based on business requirements and technical reasons, that I want flashback logging to be enabled for a database then I would expect that to remain the situation.

I favour a init.ora parameter which asks "Should the database hang if flashback_area full" which the DBA can set to true if he wants flashback logging to be treated like archive logging. I know that the database can be recovered without flashback but cannot with archiving but I still consider the situation should be handled much better than it currently it.

John

Hemant K Chitale

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com