Re: Fine Grained Access

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:38:25 -0500

A simple-minded solution would be to create a two column User_Campus table
- User, Campus (could be ID or Name, whatever works for your situation).
Most folks would have one row in that table.  The multi-Campus folks would
have two or more.  Your security predicate would be "Where Campus In
(Select Campus from User_Campus Where User = <UserCapturedAt Logon>)".

The key to successful FGAC use is a flexible, table-driven security
meta-data model.  No hard-coding should ever be needed.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

  I'm OK, you're OK - in small doses.      -- Introverts' Motto

LeRoy Kemnitz <lkemnitz@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/05/2006 03:19 PM
Please respond to
lkemnitz@xxxxxxxx

oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Fine Grained Access

I am running 10.1.0.4 on Unix.  I work with a university system
involving 28 campuses.  I am starting to use Fine Grained Access on my db.

I currently use the Predicate to inspect the login name in order to
determine what records they see.  I limit them to only see their own
campus records.  Works great.  Well, now I have the situation where
certain users will be required to administer records from multiple
campuses.  I could create group and add the users to the group.  But
that would mean hard coding the username in the functions.  Not ideal.
Any ideas or workarounds???