Re: Finding information about object for LOCK TYPE = UL

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:54:21 -0700

You've done some excellent analysis, but a call to one of the procedures in
the DBMS_LOCK package does not have to be associated with any objects at
all.  It could be present simply because of the need for some sort of
synchronization somewhere in the program logic.  So, I think it is possible
that you've gone as far as you can in this direction...

I would suggest moving in the other direction, toward the session itself.
What are the values associated with lines starting with the phrase
"APPNAME".  These are calls to DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO used to set the columns
MODULE and ACTION, and those values could be useful.  In Oracle E-Biz, most
programs set MODULE to the ConcProgram name, I believe...

Also, searching backwards for the phrase "PARSING IN CURSOR #169" would be
useful, to find the SQL statement associated with this wait event...

Hopefully, you've acquired "Optimizing Oracle Performance" from Millsap and
Holt, published by O'Reilly, for information about the contents of sql trace
files?

Keep up the good work...