Re: FRA

  • From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:55:15 -1000

On Dec 11, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Roger Xu wrote:

"it eliminates the need to write scripts to manage and delete old archivelogs and backups, ...." - with RMAN retention policy and "delete obsolete", I think one can easily manage and delete old archivelogs and backups without FRA. Am I correct? Thanks, Roger Xu

Deletes based on retention policy delete everything older than the policy states with total prejudice. With the FRA, nothing is thrown away unless space is needed for new backups or archivelogs. So there is a good chance that in any given recovery scenario, you will have a longer history of backups in a space-based pool like the FRA, than with a system of deletion based on date. There is a good chance that a time-based retention policy will delete files even when there is plenty of room to keep them. Why not keep more backups around?

Regards,

Jeremiah Wilton
Blue Gecko, Inc.
http://www.bluegecko.net