Re: Express Edition for Production

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:02:56 -0600

The inclusion of Apex is useful only if the OP wants it;  such a
requirement was not mentioned.  DbVisit is impressive but it sort of
blows away the stated "no-cost" requirement.

By itself, XE is not a production solution, but a "kick-the-tires"
gateway to Standard or Enterprise Edition, which arguably blows the
"no-cost" requirement just the same.  XE is intended to facilitate a
rapidly-developed application locked into the Oracle technology stack.
Period.  For proof, note that all features relative to realistic
production usage are excluded from XE, while shiny things like Apex,
materialized views, and auto memory management are included.
Single-channel RMAN is included as a concession that even casual
development environments need backups, but that is the extent of
production support.  The XE license terms (i.e. 1 CPU core, 1 Gb RAM, 11
Gb data) puts the final kibosh on any intent for production use; laptops
don't even come that small any more.

Oracle is a business, and I've made my living the past 23 years in that
business, and for that I'm truly grateful.  Low cost?  OK. No cost?  No.