Re: Eclipse for SQL development in place of Toad

  • From: jlchiappa1967 - OraGroups <jlchiappa1967@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:31:48 -0300

> Hi
>
> Does anybody use Eclipse for SQL (Oracle) development? I love Open
> Source, but use at the moment Toad.
>
> Any review of Eclipse for SQL developers?
> I don't wish to switch to other closed Source tool (SQL Developer). If
> I switch, prefer Open Source.
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

   I saw Eclipse IDE being used for a group of Oracle database
developers quite some time ago, and the net result was : for basic,
common day-to-day generic development it is OK, but any time you need
some Oracle specific resource (such as Oracle PL/SQL debugging
built-ins, say) some kind of plug-in and/or extra config will be
needed/installed/configured, mainly the Oracle Database Plugin for
Eclipse... And, of course, Eclipse is GENERIC, so all the specific
Oracle admin scripts/reports/screens  built-in on TOAD and SQL Developer
(such as sessions reports and so on) simply are absent in raw Eclipse,
they are another thing to be built/customized/installed by you...
    The only open-source tools I know that are capable of accessing
PL/SQL debugging and complete with some Oracle-specific
reports/scripts/screens is TORA, in http://torasql.com/ ,and (with some
exceptions) SquirrelSQL in http://www.squirrelsql.org/ ....
    Of course, if closed-source Freeware tools could be used, then the
range will be wide open : besides Oracle´s SQL Developer you will find
at least a dozen of very good alternatives...

    Best regards,

      J. Laurindo Chiappa