Re: EMC Data Deduplication

  • From: Wayne Smith <wts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jrkhym@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 16:46:49 -0400

Generally compression and de-dup devices shouldn't be mixed.  That is, while
your de-dup device may do de-dup and compression under the covers, you
should never send it compressed data, since the chance of compressed data
deduping well is slim.  A de-dup device that has poor de-dup ratio/reduction
is a very expensive storage device!

I recommend looking at a number of vendors, if your purchasing situation
allows it.  First, the competition will bring down the price, and second,
you may find a better device for your situation.

I also recommend that you test any device you are seriously considering with
your own data, and the more and more representative you can make your test
data, the more you'll have expectations that will be met.

Finally, for this area, look hard at what you'll do when you have more data
than will fit on the device and what you'll be able to do when the device
will no longer be supported (typically 5 years from GA).

Others have covered Oracle BCT.

You mention you want to write your backups to SAN and then copy to your
de-dup device.  You might want to revisit that inclination.  I've never
heard of "EMC Data Duplication" (I use a local and remote pair of Quantum
de-dup appliances), so take this advice with an aspirin and grain of salt
... if you acquire the right size de-dup device and connect it with where
the data originates appropriately, you'll find backups and restores very
fast and all the latencies of tape handling gone.  Whether you use your
NetBackup DB agent, other software that might be part of the EMC Data
Duplication devices/servers, or just use RMAN scripts to backup to an NFS
share on your de-dup device, restores should be quick and easy compared to
the extra step of using your SAN.  By all means test and verify!

Cheers, Wayne