EMC Data Deduplication

  • From: Jason Khym <jrkhym@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 05:55:07 -0400

I am an oracle DBA at a large ulitity company in the Southeastern US.  Our
IT shop is considering buying this product for our server,email and database
backups.  It would replace Veritas Netbackup Server and Tape libraries.  I
was wondering if anyone on the list has any experience with the product.

We current at taking full level 0 hot backups on all of our production
databases every night. So I know a dedup product like this would save us
alot of backup space.  I also realize that RMAN incremental backups with
Block Change Tracking would give us the same benefit with less cost. We
haven't had time to implement this as a backup standard yet. Our db engineer
tried using incremental backups back in 8i or 9i and said it was not
reducing the backup size.  He later found out he needed to enable BCT to see
the full size reduction.  Our IT engineers want us(DBAs) to write RMAN
backups directly to this dedup servers.  I am not sold on that idea. I would
like to continue to write our backup to ATA SAN storage and have the backups
pulled to the dedup devices.

Overall,  what do you think of this product? Any gotchas or leasons learned
that can be shared?