Re: Dynamic sampling

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hemantkchitale@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:12:07 +0800

I don't have access to run the query.  It is called from a procedure in a
package executed by the application. I can only "see" it.

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com
sent from my smartphone

On Nov 11, 2010 4:39 PM, "William Robertson" <william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

 Ah, agreed that would be a helpful feature. It would also be good if the
plan could indicate whether global or partition stats (or default estimates)
were used and whether they are stale.

I wouldn't be without dynamic sampling though. I find one instant-tuning
technique is to try the query at level 9 (either via hint or alter session)
and see if it produces a better plan, preferably using 'ADVANCED' in the
call to dbms_xplan.display_cursor to get the outline section. Then if it
does, figure out what's better about it. It's a bit like using DBMS_SQLTUNE
but without the requirement for special privileges.

William Robertson