RE: Drop Index takes longer in Prod than in Test

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <somckit.khemmanivanh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:16:35 -0400

We'll need version information and whether the tablespaces holding the
indexes are dictionary managed or locally managed.

Are the indexes partitioned or indexes of partitions, etc., etc..

It may be possible for you to speed things up by taking the index
tablespaces offline and doing an offline drop including contents, if the
problem is the pecimal freeing of index extents from a dictionary managed
tablespace.  If the load process you cannot touch does not specify extent
allocations, you may be able to speed things up by changing the space
defaults on the index tablespace(s) to use very few extents (because the
drop can be slow in adding extents back to the free space on dictionary
managed tablespaces.) You also may benefit from moving to locally managed
tablespaces.

But these are all wild guesses without knowing a lot more.

Good luck,

mwf

  _____