From: Mark W. Farnham [mailto:mwf@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:17 AM
To: Khemmanivanh, Somckit; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Drop Index takes longer in Prod than in Test

We'll need version information and whether the tablespaces holding the
indexes are dictionary managed or locally managed.

Are the indexes partitioned or indexes of partitions, etc., etc..

It may be possible for you to speed things up by taking the index
tablespaces offline and doing an offline drop including contents, if the
problem is the pecimal freeing of index extents from a dictionary
managed tablespace.  If the load process you cannot touch does not
specify extent allocations, you may be able to speed things up by
changing the space defaults on the index tablespace(s) to use very few
extents (because the drop can be slow in adding extents back to the free
space on dictionary managed tablespaces.) You also may benefit from
moving to locally managed tablespaces.

But these are all wild guesses without knowing a lot more.

Good luck,

mwf