Does a lock on a parent table locks up alter table disable constraint?

  • From: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 17:20:42 -0500

Hi all:

I am encountering a following situation:

- one developer is executing alter table T1 disable foreing key FK1. The
FK1 is referrting to a table T2 as a parent table

- another developer is holding a lock on the T2

The first developer's command is stuck until the second one releases the
lock. I have seen it several times today
Why does this happen? I would understand that an ENABLE command would be
affected by that, but why would
a DISABLE command be affected?

thank you

Gene Gurevich