RE: Disk Device Busy (%) - What exactly is this?

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx'" <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>, 'oracle-l-freelists' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:55:34 -0600

I'm not sure how any OS "knows" the maximum IO bandwidth available to a
specific device (especially LUNs) but "Device Busy (%)" is common metric
available on both *nix and Windows systems.

On many Linux systems, you can run iostat -x 2 100 and get interval snapshots
showing the disk busy percentage (or disk utilization percentage).  In Windows
you use perfmon and the Logical (or Physical) disk metric counters.

Theoretically the percentage should never be higher than 100%.  Also you should
notice disk queues increasing and average waits the closer you get to 100% busy.

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and
may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing
the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the
information on any medium.