RE: Direct I/O, better performance?

  • From: "Gogala, Mladen" <Mladen.Gogala@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'roger_xu@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <roger_xu@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L@Freelists. Org (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:37:00 -0400

a) What did you want to achieve by switching to direct I/O?
b) Do you know what is direct I/O and what are the benefits?
c) Are you talking about DBMS_STATS?
d) Why would you expect DBMS_STATS to run faster with the direct I/O?
   I'd expect it to run slower, because of the the prefetch which is
   gone with the direct I/O.

--
Mladen Gogala
A & E TV Network