Difference between ALTER SYSTEM SET EVENTS and init.ora parameter?

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:46:52 -0500

Howdy all,

I have a support tech telling me that:

        alter system set events '6500 trace name processstate level 10';

will NOT produce the same trace file as setting:

        event= "6500 trace name processstate level 10"

in the init.ora and bouncing the 9.2.0.5.0 instance.  The tech's unable
to explain what the difference is, however.  I tried testing this by
setting event 1652 as above and running a cartesian product with an
ORDER BY.  The trace was created just fine from what I can see.  I can't
justify bouncing a production instance because a tech says so (and no
way in hell I will without explanation).

Anyone have any ideas what the difference might be, if any?

TIA!
Rich