Re: Diff between "controlfile autobackup" and "snapshot controlfile"

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Koen.Van_Langenhove@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:25:43 +0000

According to the fine manual, that isn't quite it either.  :)

You can back up the control file when the database is mounted or open.
RMAN uses a snapshot control file to ensure a read-consistent version.
If CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP is ON (by default it is OFF), then
RMAN automatically backs up the control file and server parameter file
after every backup and after database structural changes. The control
file autobackup contains metadata about the previous backup, which is
crucial for disaster recovery.

If the autobackup feature is not set, then you must manually back up
the control file in one of the following ways:

    * Run BACKUP CURRENT CONTROLFILE
    * Include a backup of the control file within any backup by using
the INCLUDE CURRENT CONTROLFILE option of the BACKUP command
    * Back up datafile 1, because RMAN automatically includes the
control file and SPFILE in backups of datafile 1

A manual backup of the control file is not the same as a control file
autobackup. In manual backups, only RMAN repository data for backups
within the current RMAN session is in the control file backup, and a
manually backed-up control file cannot be automatically restored.

--
Jared Still