RE: Database programming standards

  • From: "Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:47:54 -0400

That is exactly why... These are government positions and the job title
is application programmer.  People applying go through civil service
screening and hiring process and only have to be able to program in SOME
language.  Agencies then have to recruit from the pool of approved
candidates.  If there aren't any pl/sql programmers in the pool then you
pick the best candidates that you can get.  If you don't, the position
and salary may get grabbed by somebody else for their project or horse
traded away. If you actually hire somebody you then try and beat your
candidate into a hat that fits.  Make sense?

The majority of the consultants are H1b visa holders and are therefore
ineligible for the positions. I have found in my short time in
government that people are either super-good and do the work of ten or
superbad and it takes the work of ten to make one work.

> The only reason I can think of, for you favoring .net code instead of
PL/SQL is if you are having a lot of .net expertise in-house and