Database programming standards

Hi all,

We are in the process of preparation of a RFP for a big project; it is
going to be developed in J2EE, do not know which app server we are going
to use ( probably SUN Iplanet server ), Oracle 9i is the back end.

I am looking for some database programming standards to be written up in
RFP so that we maintenance team can reduce the amount of mess to deal
with after vendor leaves.

So far we do not have any J2EE applications in our shop, so do not know
what kind of a beast it is.

Here is the list of problems I heard from others, do not know how far
they are true:

1) Some Java programs do not close open cursors.

2) On the fly SQLs ( no bind variables ) and each SQL is new for
database causing scalability problems.

3) Applications do not typically make use stored procedures/packages and
all the SQL are dumped into one huge database class file

If anybody already wrote a paper or know some source of these standards,
please forward. Any help in the regard is appreciated.

Thanks for the help

Deen