Re: Database for datawarehouse

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dba.orcl@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 06:48:10 -0700

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:32:44 -0400, Sami Seerangan <dba.orcl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Any comments?

If management is willing to commit to a technology because
"somebody recommended it", you have problems.

Are there any criteria for choosing a db technology?

Is cost a consideration?  ( You think Oracle is expensive?  )

You will get 2 choices for a platform:  NCR and whatever
there OS is, or Windows.

In the long run, what can TeraData do for you that Oracle can't?

Very little I would guess.   Though I haven't used TeraData, I
did once study their docs for the same reason you are asking
about it.  I didn't see anything remarkable there, and a couple
bits of their architecture seemed rather kludgy.

--
Jared Still