Re: Database Archive

  • From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:56:56 -0600

My reactions:
1) A proper archiving strategy can improve performance for OLTP
activities and reduce storage requirements for the databases.
However, if the database has not been architected with an
archiving strategy in mind, archiving activities may cause more
performance problems that it solves. BTW, the sidebar does not
even mention this. In fact, the sidebar is so generic as to be
useless to us non-PHB types.

2) If you archive the data to a DSS/DW using the OLTP structures
(don't laugh, I've seen this done all too often), the OLAP
performance will be okay for a month or two, then it will
degrade rapidly.

3) The databases they refer to are small. I am working on
building a 100g play database on my single-cpu Win2k box at
home. I am sure there are systems out there that generate 27g of
redo per day, not per month. 2tb was huge 5 years ago, not
today.

Overall, it's an okay article, but it seems more fluff designed
to sell software and services by EMC.

Daniel