RE: Database Archive

  • From: "MacGregor, Ian A." <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:10:59 -0700

We've been using an HSM, HPSS, for quite a while  for the event data from the
Babar expeirmment.  The current database size in 895.0 TB.  We're also moving
away from  Objectivity database toward the Xroot file system, which was
developed with physics data in mind.  I scanned the article Jared posted
quickly, but didn't catch any mention of power-managed disk arrays.  These keep
the nearline  storage on disks which are normally powered-down, but spin up
when they need to service a request.  I believe the acronym MAID has been
coined for these systems.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Acclerator Center
ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx