Re: DMON problem, missing archived log as well.

Hi,
you could try to disable dg configuration, disable standby arch.log dest. on
primary and let primary archive log with sequence 44419 (if possible). Check
if archive log destiantions are not full.
after that you could manualy trasport this arch.log to standby and register
it there or enable the dg. conf again and see if the standby can fetch the
gap of 44419-44419.

regards,
goran

On 11/10/06, Norman Dunbar <norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:


Afternoon all,

we have a 9204 database running on Windows 2000 with a standby.

There is a huge performance problem on the primary and I've tracked it
down to one of the oracle processes eating up most of the CPU on the
box.

The session that is hogging the CPU is DMON. The alert log shows that
it tried to archive log 44419 first of all to the standby (remote)
location and at some point in doing so, an Oracle 600 error was
detected. ([kcrrupirfs.20][0][0] for which there is one mention on
Metalink's ora-600 lookup tool. That is for an OCFS problem on Windows
2003 server and we are not using OCFS on this box.

The trace file is corrupt - notepad cannot open it, Wordpad gets to 3%
then resets to 0% over and over. WinZip was able to compress it, but
aborts (just disappears) when you try to view with internal viewer.

The remote standby database shows no record of sequence 44419, but the
alert log shows numerous attempts to fetch the gap of 44419-44419. This
failed.

V$LOG shows that there are 20 groups and 14 is at sequence 44419, it
has not bee archived. The current group is 20. I suspect when we get
back to group 14 again, we will simply hang waiting to archive sequence
44419. Thankfully, we only get through about 2 or 3 groups in a day and
there won't be much, if anything running over the weekend.

DMGRL allows me to connect to the primary and says 'connected' but sits
there without giving me a prompt back. Not much help there !

Obviously, being Windows, even though I have identified the thread that
is DMON and can see the resources etc that it uses (performance manager
utility) I cannot kill it like I could on Windows - if I wanted to that
is.

I've never come across anything like this before, my colleagues here
have not either, Google has no info that I can find and neither does
Metalink. I am wondering if :

(a) I can simply shutdown the database (abort or whatever) and restart
it and hopefully everything will work again. I knows I should archive
log group 14 ASAP.

(b) Anyone knows how to kill a thread on Windows rather than the whole
Oracle process.

(c) Anyone has seen anything like this in the past, and if so, what did
you do ?


I know the ora-600 is an SR problem, and it will be dealt with, but
come Monday, I'm going to be a little busy trying to get this problem
sorted out and I'd like some more information form those who know, if at
all possible before I go in shutting stuff down etc.


Thanks.


Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar.
Contract Oracle DBA.
Rivers House, Leeds.

Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051


Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the
sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.

We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to
under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for
litigation.  Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment
Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or
recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our
terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find
out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk
--
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l



Other related posts: