RE: DBWR pegged out

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ora_kclosson@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 18:16:12 -0500

Oh, is TEMP the name of his temporary tablespace?

So Doug, what is your application doing?

Greg's reference in line is write complete waits

The session waits for a buffer to be written. The write is caused by normal
aging or by a cross-instance call.

Wait Time: 1 second

Parameter

Description

file#

The rollback segment id that contains the transaction that is being rolled
back

block#

The transaction flags (options) set for the transaction that is being rolled
back

id

Identifies the reason for waiting

So he asked about a rollback. But I'm not so sure the buffer being written
is a rollback or just associated with a rollback. Since it seems to be on
TEMP and we naturally suspect that is a temporary tablespace, the only thing
I can think of that would have to wait to write on TEMP in a rollback is
something on a global temporary table. Otherwise I think all that has to
happen on TEMP is freeing the space or direct writes that should have
exclusive rights to where they are writing. That seems very unlikely to
generate a lot of waits.

I could be completely wrong. But it seems like any rational person would
name that rollback buffer write complete waits if it can only be a rollback
buffer that you're waiting to have written. If that is the case, shame on
you for naming your undo tablespace TEMP.

Something doesn't add up.

mwf